So what exactly is a “Chief Listening Officer” (CLO) anyway?
Listening is the first step in developing and executing any successful communications strategy – digital or otherwise. It is also key requirement for creating and maintaining healthy relationships. And, of course, in order to ENGAGE, one must first have EARS.
“Focus on the ‘social’ in social media, as opposed to the ‘media.’ Don’t treat it as another media channel to send one-way messages to the audience.” – David Alston
I created this CLO title as an “umbrella” aspiration for each role in my life – ranging from personal to professional. So, as a Chief Listening Officer, I am not simply hearing. I’m turning up the volume on my auditory skills each day…whether I’m listening to nature while on the river…
- Listening to staff members, the boss, or work colleagues;
- Listening to family and friends;
- Listening to customers and clients;
- Listening to learn new information;
- Listening to the market trends and data;
- Listening to the pulse of the community;
- Listening to neighbors;
- Listening to an interview subject;
- Listening to the social web and managing online reputation;
- Listening to audience feedback;
- Listening to a response to a question;
- Listening to different points of view, or;
- Listening to my heart.